- Khajjiar is a well known khajjiar base in Chamba district, Himachal Pradesh, India. Also referred to as the “Mini Switzerland of India”, Khajjiar is situated in a small upland by a small stream in the middle that has been taken over by weeds.
- The moment visitors/tourists enter the scenic khajjiar, they are welcomed by a yellow Swiss sign tagged ‘Hiking Path’ which reads Mini Switzerland.
- Cut against the backdrop of thick pines, deodars and lush green fields, It is charmingly situated in the hummock of the striking Dhauladhar Range of the Western Himalayas. The site gives a panoramic and magnificent perspective to visitors.
Antiquity of khajjiar
- On the 7th of July, 1992, Swiss Envoy Willy P. Blazer, Vice Chancellor and Chief of Chancery of Switzerland in India purchased hill on the world tourism map calling it “MINI SWITZERLAND.”
- He had even put a yellow Swiss hiking footpath showing it’s distance from the Swiss capital Bern which is around 6194 km 043848 miles. Eventually, khajjiar stands among the 160 locations in the world that bear topographical resemblance with Switzerland.
- In the late 1990s, the counselor also took from khajjiar a stone which willform part of a stone collage around the Swiss Parliament to remind the visitors of hill as a “MINI SWITZERLAND OF INDIA”.
- It is famous for the well known Khajji Nag shrine devoted to the serpent god from which the name is believed to have been acquired. The prehistoric temples precede to the 10th century and are dispersed with different designs and pictures on the ceiling and wooden posts.
- The structural designs of Hindu and Mughal which are mirrored over the wooden carvings on the ceilings can be seen. Historical evidence says that the image carvings describe the Kauravas who were tied up here in the hideout by the Pandavas.
Excursion of Mini Switzerland
- Dhauladhar Peak: Pines, fully dense deodars and lush green are characteristics of hill. It is located at the base of the Dhauladhar mountain range; the tourists here can get extensive views of the mountains.
- Kalatop hill Sanctuary: This enthralling place is a wildlife oasis which has a wide variety of fauna and flora. Densely covered with deodar and fir forest. Kalatop has an attractive spot for trekking and picnics.
- Hill Lake: It is a small lake which is enclosed by a saucer-shaped lush green field and a buoyant island. The area has a dense growth of weed called “VACHA” that has made its earth squashy. The bank’s stand is covered by a thick layer of earth, formed by the years of dust settling down on the weeds.
- Khajji Nag Temple: This prehistoric temple, Khajji Nag, dates back to the 12th century which was made by the king of Chamba, Prithvi Singh, is slightly at a distance from the lake. The temple attracts visitors/tourists with its golden dome which resulted in it being known as the Golden Devi Temple. The mandap of the temple holds an image carving of the Pandavas and the defeated Kauravas hanging from the root of the circumambulatory path.
- Trekking Sightseeings: Khajjiar has various trekking opportunities. Daikund is an easy to moderate trekking place of a distance of 3.5 km from hill. The landscape and pleasing camping sites are its big preeminence.
Culmination of the hill
- The broody landscape of Switzerland is the world’s most attractive and sought after as a deluxe destination. Many people dream of visiting this eminent country at least once in their lifetime.
- While the rest of them have already been into this experience. Per a constant contemplation, it seems that it is stippled with pleasantly old-fashioned villages set against the scenery of the majestic Alps; Switzerland is not only stunning but also insanely exquisite.
- If one is thinking of going on a vacation, he/she should consider Khajjiar, The Mini Switzerland in India!
Joy Oahimijie (Content writer Intern)
October 19, 2023