In today’s world, skyscrapers, designer buildings, metro trains, and massive constructions are said to be good infrastructure. Well, an infrastructure must be in a way that makes the place looks good and safe and not damage it. Plants are considered an object that helps a place to look better. We are going to talk about the American Ornamental plant, the Agave plant. Let’s see some of the facts about the Agave plant.
The agave is a plant that belongs to the family Agavaceae. They are succulent type in nature. These plants grow around 6-10 feet in height. There are lots of varieties in Agave plants that differ in their characteristics. These plants resemble Cactus and Aloe vera in shape but they differ in species. The plant is native to America and Mexico. These plants are mostly used as ornamental plants in gardens and houses. This plant has many names such as Century plant, American aloe, Agave, Blue sisal, etc. The plant has a lifetime of 10 to 30 years. When the plant reaches its final stage, it produces a flower and then dies.
This plant is grown almost everywhere in places like cliffs, grasslands, savanna, urban areas, desert, etc. The plant grows well in well-drained soil, sandy soil, and slightly acidic soil. They are tolerant of drought and high temperatures. The plant’s leaves look like rose petals but they have pointy tips on the side. With 1-2 m long and 15-25 cm in width, these agave plants look adorable for decoration purposes. These plants are also useful for medicinal purposes. It flowers around March and June.
The plant prefers a good sunlight spot for better growth. The higher the sunlight, the higher it benefits the plant. If they have good sunlight they can also tolerate sunshade. In their earlier stage, the plants need to be watered 5 days a month. Then once a week. After the plant reaches a considerable height, they don’t require that much watering. We can water them if there is no rainfall for a long time and if the surface is so dry.
Facts about Agave plant
The plants are not only used for decoration, they also have many special properties that help people. Let’s see some of the facts about the agave plant.
- One of the Agave plant species is used in the making of Tequila.
- The Agave species plants are found all over the world.
- The lifetime of the plant is 10-25 years depending on the weather condition and care.
- The extract from the plants can be used in making cosmetic products.
- The anti-inflammatory presence of Agave plants can help heal wounds and cuts in the body.
- By using the spine of Agave, it can be used as a tattoo needle. And using charcoal ink can be made. This is a natural way a person can get a tattoo.
- Dried leaves can be used to make tea.
- Saps from the plant are used in the treatment of diarrhea and dysentery.
- The presence of saponin in agave helps improve the immune system in our body.
- Agave nectar is used as a substitute for sugar. With its low glycemic index, it is helpful in diabetic patients. It is also used in strengthening the hair and making the hair shine.
- The fiber content in agave plants is used in the diet and helps fight gastric pain.
- Agave plant saps are applied to the bruised body for quick healing.
- The plant helps improve digestion, intestinal gas and constipation.
- Powdered agave plant leaves help cure Anemia.
- Agave plantations in Mexico are used for commercial purposes.
These are some of the facts about Agave plants that are useful in daily lives. The plants are popular in Mexico. Almost everyone in Mexico has Agave plants in their gardens or homes. These plants are smaller in size so that they can be kept in any room and it doesn’t need much care. So people can buy Agave plants and can decorate their houses in a classy way.