A tree that is grown in many places like beaches, villages, and in farming lands is the Coconut tree. A Coconut tree is a tree that grows very tall and bears fruits called Coconuts, and Coconut is a fruit that grows from a tiny seed. A firm Coconut should be full of water when we shake it, and the water defines the quality of the fruit. So let’s see how to grow a Coconut tree and the benefits of Coconut water.
We need a warm and well-drained soil spot to grow a Coconut tree. The tree consists of two species and they are short and long Coconut trees. The short trees are self-pollinated and are so smaller than the taller ones. They grow mostly around 5-6 meters and produce fruit after 3 to 5 years of plantation. But the shorter species tree doesn’t live a long time.
On the other side, tall species grow upto 25 meters in height and can live upto 100-110 years. These Coconuts are covered with a protective layer called Husk, and these Husks are dried and help make fire. A Coconut has two stages one is Normal, and another is Tender Coconut. They both differ in the water’s taste, and tender Coconut has a kicky taste, whereas normal Coconut lacks the kick in the taste.
To grow the tree from Coconut, we need to choose a firm Coconut with the Husk that is filled with water. After selecting a perfect Coconut:
- Soak them in water for 3 to 4 days.
- Take a container big enough to place the Coconut in and add planting soil to it.
- Plant the Coconut down-facing and leave one-third of the Coconut above the soil.
- After planting the Coconut in the soil, move the container to a place with warm weather.
Coconuts prefer warmer climates, which is why they are seen on many beaches. The humidity and the warm temperature give an excellent boost to their growth. After finding a warm spot, water them. Make sure to poke some holes in the container so that an excess amount of water can get out of the container. Watering them in the starting phase makes germination faster. Water them frequently, and don’t let the water get stagnant.
By following these steps, we can see seedlings appear in 3 to 6 months. After the seedling reaches a certain height, plant them outside in well-drained soil. Coconut trees consume more water and nutrients. So choose a wise fertilizer that contains boron, magnesium, and manganese. Make sure to find a frost-free spot so the tree growth won’t get affected because frost affects the development of the tree. The plant reaches maturity in a year. To harvest Coconut, we must wait 6 to 8 months after maturity. If we need tender Coconut, we must wait a little more.
Uses and Medicinal benefits
Coconut or Tender both have rich nutrients and tasty, clean water, and they are consumed and used in a large variety of cuisines. Let’s see some of the uses and health benefits that Coconut provides.
- A cup of Coconut water consists of carbs, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and sugar.
- We can make Coconut milk by adding water to Coconut meat and processing them in a food processor.
- The presence of magnesium in Coconut water can reduce blood sugar levels and increase insulin levels in our bodies.
- Coconut water can help fight kidney stones because drinking them produces more urine, which helps clean the system.
- Drinking Coconut water can help in hydration and induce electrolytes in our bodies. After a heavy workout, people can drink this instead of regular water.
- Coconut is shredded and used for cooking purposes.
- By using Coconut, we can extract Coconut oil which plays a vital role in today’s world.
- By the Husk of Coconut, we can make Coir, a fiber used to make ropes, mats, mattresses, and brooms.
- Alcohol is made by extracting sap from the branches of the Coconut tree.
- The leaves of the Coconut tree are used in crafting products like baskets, building huts, etc.
These are some of the uses and medicinal benefits that Coconut offers us. So let’s have refreshing Tender Coconut water and rejuvenate ourselves.