The daisies are all time favourite flowers of everyone. Daisies have their own beauty and texture that makes everyone meltdown and fall in love with them.
- A Daisy symbolizes innocence and purity. It can also symbolize new beginnings.
- The flower meaning of daisy is “loyal love”and “I will never tell”.
- These beautiful daisies have their roots in Northern and Central Europe.
- Commonly used for gifts and growing in gardens.
- They belong to the Compositae family, now being called Asteraceae in the flora world.
- The word daisy originated from an anglo-saxon word “daes age” which literally meant “day’s eye”.
- Daisies marks the beginning of the day as it blooms in the dawn period
Description:- size and shape
- Daisies are special in their own way. It’s not just a single flower but they are made up of a couple of them.
- It includes the disk florets and petal-like white ray florets.
- The rays are present at the peripheral area and the disk imprints the centre part of the flower making it appear as a solo beauty.
- This arrangement is also termed as a type of inflorescence called a capitulum.
- They have leafless stems and they possess a single flower.
- The daisies contain flower stalks of about 3-4 inch and are generally longer than the leaves.
- Leaves consist of various textures. They may appear smooth as well as hairy, and are also narrow at the base and slightly lobed.
How to add beauty to your garden by growing the daisies?
- Daisies are termed to be hard perennials and can grow easily anywhere.
- These are seed plants and need to be directly grown into the flowerbeds.
- Daisies need bright sun rays so they must be planted in a sunny location for maximum sunlight.
- Mind that the soil must be rich for that you can add compost and manure before planting the seeds.
- Do not plant daisies in too hot areas, and if planted provide plenty of shade and water them on a regular basis.
- Add a general purpose fertilizer in the early growth stage, and once a month afterwards.
Care of the plant
- Daisies are generally not affected with the insects and bugs,but if happens treat them with fungicides or insecticidal soap.
- Just before blooming, use a fertilizer high in phosphorous as it helps to promote big, bright blooms.
- In cold weather regions, provide a thick layer of mulch for winter protection.
Some of the varieties of Daisies are:-
- Daisy-like flowers
- The Spanish Daisy
- Blue Daisy
- Lazy Daisy or Prairie Daisy
- African Daisy
- Michaelmas Daisy
- Swan River Daisy
- Tatarian Daisy
- Painted Daisy
- Paris Daisy
- Shasta Daisy
- Ox-eye Daisy
- Nippon Oxeye Daisy
- Giant Daisy
- African Daisy
- Kingfisher Daisy
- Sunshine Daisy
- Gerbera Daisy
- Transvaal Daisy or Barberton Daisy
- Tahoka Daisy
- Livingstone Daisy
- Gloriosa Daisy
- Dahlberg Daisy and
- Butter Daisy