- Portuguese Water Dogs were known around 700 B.C. and fishermen used them in several tasks of water at that time. The Water Dogs are natural-born swimmers and athletes. This is the reason that people called them swimmers and athletes up to this day.
- Dogs are extremely friendly, lovely, and blessed with strong bodies. Moreover, they have great sense and sharp brains, they can live happily with family and other pets.
- Dogs have curly or wavy coats and webbed paws, which helps them to do their job in the water perfectly. Moreover, they can play sports like track. So, they are ideal for families. As with obedience, agility, and intelligence, dogs can suit any family.
- Cindra Delgado, owner of Cindel Portuguese Water Dogs once said,” They are like the ultimate velcro dogs.”
- We can easily excel them as therapy and service dogs. Their intelligence and empathy make them very faithful and useful dogs.
Do you Know?
- The dogs feel good in the water but they take their puppies after some time. As to the facts, they want them to get used to it.
- Portuguese Water Dog Club of America, the official breed club, recommends that owners should take their new puppies of the breed for the tests and screenings.
- Some research shows that spaying or neutering dogs in the first year of their birth can damage their health and cause other diseases.
Coat of Portuguese Water Dog Comes in two varieties
Dogs have been present for about 800 years. Experts suggest that poodles can be the coolest genetic cousin of dogs with some changes in the appearance of water dogs. The two breeds have a lot of similarities.
The coat of Portuguese dogs comes in two varieties: Curly and Wavy. The hair of the dogs is medium to long and single-coated.
Some dogs have bi-or even tri-colored coats. Further, they have webbed feet for swimming and their bodies are tall, quite square. They have both wavy and curly hair. No dog is purely hypoallergenic in the breed
Smart, Intelligent, and energetic dogs
- Dogs are extremely smart and intelligent. The training is given to them as they have to live in water. They have been taught how to retrieve broken nets and tackle, deliver messages from ship to ship, and ship to shore. They also work as couriers and are taught like fish.
- They might be great dogs if the owner is experienced and gives them efficient training.
- Sarah Moore, DVM, Diplomate ACVIM, says “, the dogs can be friendly with children and other pets. They can go very well with their families, but the owner has to give proper time to the dog so that they can be trained well.”
- Also, with proper socialization, they can be friendly with unknown people. But in case, if not then they can be suspicious of new people.
- Dogs need proper exercise in a day at least for half an hour. They can also get bored so people have to entertain them. They are very energetic dogs as they can do plenty of work and activities of great strength.
- They love to do work and play with the children.
Living Needs and care
- Dogs are highly affected by mental and physical stimulation. Waterdogsneed daily training and love to travel. Moreover, games or running is their favorite work.
- The animal will love those people who are friendly with them. Kindness, love, and care need every dog.
- Further, washing and brushing them properly will clean them.
Water Dogs can suffer from Hip Dysplasia
- Hip Dysplasia is a disease that is very effective among their breed. Delgado also recommends that not to spay or neuter till 18 months or 2 years of their birth. As this can cause damage and disease to their breed. It can also sput their growth that can cause joint problems.
- However, Theresa Entriken, DVM, says Portuguese water dogs are not in the category of delaying in the neutering. In fact, a study published in 202 also suggests that most breeds can be spayed without considering their age.
- But still, there is no answer to the question.
- Moreover, they can also suffer from cataracts and progressive retinal atrophy.