Introduction to Salim
- Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is situated in Goa. It is a mangrove- wetland, which was converted into a bird sanctuary. Birds like white egrets, purple herons, kingfishers, eagles, cormorants, woodpeckers, sandpipers, curlews, crocodiles, crabs, flying foxes, jackals can be found in this bird sanctuary. The whole size of the sanctuary is about 440 acres.
- The bird sanctuary is of course named after the famous ornithologist- Dr. Salim Ali Moizzudin Adul Ali. This mangrove land was converted into a bird sanctuary in the year 1988. It is said that it is one of the smallest protected areas in the whole of Goa. Inside the bird sanctuary, there are so many beautiful birds.
- Salim’s official name is Salim Moiauddin Abdul Ali. He was born on 12th November 1896 and died on 20th June 1987. His profession was ornithologist- a person who studies all varieties of birds. That’s why Salim is called the “Birdman of India”. Salim took birth in a sulaimani Bohra family in Bombay (now Mumbai).
- He was the ninth child of his parents and the youngest child to His mother and father died at a young age, which is difficult to understand. He and his 8 siblings were then bought up by his uncle and aunt. He had done his degree in St Xavier College, Mumbai in zoology.
- He was a bright student at an early age. The maximum he studies is through scholarships. Later Salim was transformed into the first president of Pakistan.
- Striated Heron
This bird is normally found in wetlands. The bird’s height is about 40cm tall.
- Western Reef Heron
The height of the bird can be 40 to 50 cm tall. All the birds of this species are black.
- Little Bittern
The bird looks similar to a sparrow, in that its color and texture are similar to sparrows. The colour of the bird is cream.
- Black Bittern
The bird’s color is coal black. This bird is majorly found in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, China, Indonesia, and Australia.
- Red Knot
This type of bird is mostly found in Canada and Europe. Their color is white-brown and brown-black.
- Jack Snipe
It looks similar to an owl. It comes under the family of lymnocryptes. The bird’s color is black-brown.
- Pied Avocet
This bird can only tolerate a mild climate. If the climate is extreme most of the birds in this species will lose their lives. As we all know that Goa has a mild climate, this is the reason that these birds can live there.
They are a mixture of both frog and squirrel in texture and appearance. They look like a frog in appearance and the species’ color is grey which is similar to the squirrel.
- A person should reach the sanctuary by 7:00 am as early as the morning. Early morning is the best time to visit the bird sanctuary so that he/she can spot a bird chirping or roam around the sanctuary. The best month to visit the sanctuary is from December 1st to February 28th or 29th as these months are mild seasons in Goa.
- It is very easy to visit the bird sanctuary as it is in the main capital of Goa- Panaji. During the visit, one must go for a boat ride as the boat will take the person into the whole mangrove, which is very beautiful to admire.
- The sanctuary is one man’s hard work to collect birds from all over the world and give space in his home. This idea came to be a success for endangered species as they can have their place in which they can adapt easily. Some people and the government admired this idea and took the step to save the endangered species and transformed a mangrove forest into a bird sanctuary in his name.
- I would personally suggest that everyone should visit the bird sanctuary as the person can admire the beauty of the mangrove forest and can see the beauty of different species there.