- This apple (yes,, apple—not the flower!) is a Honeycrisp 2.0.
- SnapDragon looks and tastes like its in-demand predecessor but presents none of the production headaches that plague growers.
- Taste: Incredibly crunchy with a sweet and spicy flavor.
- With ten years of hard work, it has been developed by the Cornell Universities’ apple breeding program.
- It had the flavor profile of a hint of vanilla and spice, sweet with a crisp texture.
- It is best for fresh eating;; however it can also work great in salads, snacks, and gourmet recipes.
- It is available from late September through January. It has a high annual demand, so snap up your apple before it runs out.
Adventure is calling:
- The Snapdragon’s crunch is going to send you off on an adventure filled with sweet, vanilla, and spicy flavors.
- It’s going to hit you with a natural rush of sugar.
- It is full of fiber content and has no harmful sodium, cholesterol, or fat.
- Snapdragon is the apple sensation that is going to replace Honeycrisp.
- It is organically grown by the farmers of Crunch Time Apple Growers of New York State.
Recipes for a Snapdragon delicacy:
Rustic Apple Tart:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a cookie sheet and line it with parchment.
- Roll out the dough so that the crust is not too thin and place it on the cookie sheet.
- In another bowl mix the apple with cinnamon, brown sugar, a pinch of salt and lemon zest.
- Put the apple mix in the middle of the pie dough and cover it with the four sides of the dough.
- Sprinkle some raw sugar on the top and bake it in the oven for 30 minutes till the crust turns golden brown.
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats:
- Take a bowl, put oats, milk and yogurt.
- Add a layer of sliced apple on top with some chia seeds and cinnamon powder and drizzle a little bit of honey.
- Place it in the fridge and enjoy it the next morning.
Snapdragon Apple Crostini
- In a bowl add minced garlic, parsley, goat cheese, cream and maple syrup.
- Toast pecan nuts and break them into pieces.
- Cut cauliflower in small pieces and put salt and roast it till golden brown.
- Slice a baguette into thick Crostino pieces and roast it for 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes.
- Slice the Snapdragon into small triangular pieces.
- Now place the crostino and put a thin layer of the bowl mix on top of it then add small pieces of golden brown cauliflower and roasted pecan nuts and top it with Snapdragon apple slices.
Nutritional Value of Snapdragon:
- It is a good source of fiber.
- It helps in digestion.
- It is rich in vitamin C which helps boosting the immune system with some antioxidants, increases collagen production and reduces inflammation.
- It also contains Vitamin E and K along with some potassium, calcium, phosphorus in low quantities.
- The core of the apple is filled with black and brown seeds.
- Since 2018 Snapdragon has been marketed by Crunch Time Apple Growers.
- It was such a special apple that it was launched through a launch party at New York highlighting the features of this apple and it tastes better than the rest.
- To show the versatility of the fruit it was used in cocktails, appetizers, and small dishes by top chefs.
- Participants of the event were allowed to give feedback on the crunch and taste of the apple.
- This event for Snapdragon was attended by celebrities and chefs from New York City.
Snapdragon apples are a delicacy and should be enjoyed at least once in a lifetime. The mega crunch and sweet, vanilla and spicy taste should knock off your taste buds. And since it has been organically farmed in New York and available from September to January to all parts of the world it has to be a must try for food enthusiasts. And if Snapdragon gives you a legendary experience you can give a try to it’s cousin Ruby Frost. It works in all kinds of meals from a healthy morning break to a quick evening snack snap and as it is said by the Crunch Time Apple Growers Oh! Snap your favorite Apple is back.
-By Anushka Ash