The Tamarind plant originated in Africa and it is considered as a shade tree.It is common among greeks and Egyptians and thus dispersed and cultivated in over 50 countries majorly in Asia and America.
Tamarind was first introduced to Mexico in the 16th century, and it quickly became a popular flavoring for Aguas Frescas. Aguas Frescas are a sort of non-alcoholic beverage made out of water, sugar, and one or more seasonal fruits, seeds, grains, or flowers. They are primarily offered in Mexico and other Latin American nations, but have subsequently made their way to the United States. These are regularly offered by street vendors, restaurants, and taquerias, and are customarily served with a ladle from an authentic Mexican glass dispenser. These are refreshing drinks that are commonly served with meals (usually consumed in the warmer months). Tamarindo is one of the many popular Aguas Frescas flavors, along with others.
It is commonly called as agua de tamarindo which is a non alcoholic beverage made up with tamarind sugar and water .this plant produce fruit pods which have pulp and seeds . Being common ingredient it is used different range of beverages .It’s pulp offer different flavors from sour to sweet. It is also prepared as soda flavor by many companies commercially and distributed globally.
However, the tamarindo in India is called as “Imli ka Amlana”, which is famous in Rajasthan state by the combination of many spices while the basic ingredients for the drink is Tamarind,it is a legume part of family fabaceae.these are found in tropical areas which produces fruit in abundance and can live upto 200 years. It has high level of tartaric acid which makes it more acidic. It also has carbohydrate as well as low fat content and high value of vitamins and minerals.
Tamarindo can be made in a variety of ways, but the most common method is to shell the tamarind pods and place them in boiling water. The seeds are removed from the pods after 45 minutes of soaking, leaving the pulp, which is strained through a screen and blended with water and sugar. To cut down on the time it takes to prepare the tamarind pods, store-bought tamarind pulp can be used instead. After all of the ingredients have been blended, the drink is served over ice. The time it takes to finish this process varies depending on whether store-bought tamarind pulp is used and how long the tamarind pods are left to soak.The beverage is carbonated in commercial tamarindo manufacture, making it similar to a soft drink. The addition of tamarind pulp to tamarindo makes it a rich source of potassium, calcium, and carbs, as well as a good supply of Vitamin B (Vitamin B1 – thiamine and Vitamin B3 – niacin) and a small amount of Vitamin C.
- Tamarind mixed with 1 cup of water in bowl.
- Now, keep it aside for 2 hours covered with lid.
- Then, blend the mixture in mixer till it become smooth.
- The pulp is strained and squeezed using muslin cloth.
- Now add powder sugar, pepper, cardamom,black salt, salt and 3 cups of water and mix well.
- Refrigerate mixture for 1 hour.
- Then serve it with ice and garnished mint leaves.
This is a great choice of drink during summers. It is colorful treat to eyes and has wonderful taste also, the mint leaves give refreshing flavor and some people even garnish with soaked boondi.
- Commercial uses- it is used as an ornamental trees and used in tamarind kernel powder used as sizing agent in textile industry, production of cotton, as oil in varnishes and tamarind wood used in carpentry.
- Culinary uses- the pulp used in different range of culinary process like chutneys,curries, sauces and beverages.
- Medicinal uses- roots of tamarind plant help to treat leprosy and in america pulp of tamarind help in the treatment of different ailments like sore throat and also it is consumed in tablet form to loose excess weight and inflammation.