- Conjugation Communication is the basis of everything. To communicate effectively in any language, we need to be well aware of the rules existing in that particular language for clear communication.
- During the first years of learning a language, children give attention to the sentence structure elders make to analyse the way they are created for an imitation of the same later. More than a way of communication, language is an integral part of life for exploring the things around us to make us all better humans each day. To learn the fundamentals of a language, it is important to understand the rules that make it a language.
English written on white background
- English is an international language connecting the world. As part of acquiring talents in it, one needs to meet a language part called Conjugation. Linguists consider this an essential part to share an idea without leaving a vague mark.
- Conjugation simply means the changes that occur to the verb’s basic form to express tense, mood, person, and more. Practically, these changes provide an insight into the tense to understand if it’s happened or is about to happen. Conjugation clears the road of communication by changing the verb’s form in situations and time.
Conjugation and Its Importance in the English Language
- Sometimes, people might feel English is a difficult language because of its complexity in constructing a sentence. The alteration of the verbs may be confusing for many. But, do you know, this alteration gives meaning to your conversation?
- In English, verbs have different forms to use with different subjects (I, You, We) and at different times (Past, Present, Future). Conjugation or alteration makes the communication proper to provide a context.
- The verb is known as the active part of the speech, and conjugation alters it to give a clarified idea. If such an action doesn’t take place, leaving a verb in its infinitive form, the meaning of what comes out might be unclear or lost altogether. By conjugating the verb, we get who is doing the action and when it happens. The language goes around with it for performing better as a communication medium.
- Sometimes, the verbs might be the same in the present, past, and future. In most cases, they change according to the number of subjects and the time (past and future). Verbs don’t get altered in the present. These changes are generally known as grammatical conjugation, which means, the conjugation happens by inflection. Inflection is a method of changing a word to provide a clear, adjusted meaning. In this way, the spellings also get changed, sometimes some extra letters are added or eliminated.
Some Examples and Explanations of Conjugation
Some examples that are daily familiar can give you more idea about what conjugation means.
- He dances
- They dance
- I dance
- The changes are visible in these simple sentences. When the subject was singular, the infinitive form dance changes to dances by adding ‘s’ after the basic form. When the subject turns to plural, the infinitive form is used, no changes had happened to its primary form. Conjugation simply means this change happens to the verb to give a clear idea. This verb alteration is important in English even if the time isn’t mentioned.
- I go to school
- I went to school
- I will go to school
- In this example, the time is mentioned not by pointing out the time in the clock but through the changes in the verb. When it says go, means it’s present. But when it changes to went, the action becomes a past. And when an auxiliary verb is added before go, the meaning changes that this is something going to happen in the future. There needs no special mention of time with these changes of verbs.
- There are fully conjugated verbs. It means, they are connected to the oldest form but the spellings and pronunciations will be different from the old one. These changes happen based on the subjects, the number of subjects. am, is, and are the different forms of being. However, they are entirely different from the basic form b.
- I’ am going to school
- They are coming
- He is dancing
- The verbs change person to person, especially on their numbers. Through which the meaning is conveyed.
- In short, conjugation plays a vital role in language to make it understandable and acceptable.
The day of education: Vasant Panchami – Erakina
Stalwarts of Freedom struggle: A poignant reminder of their contributions- Erakina