Coconut crisps are one of the most edible products of coconut. It is also regarded as one of the best alternatives to potato crisps. Basically, coconut crisps are shredded pieces of coconut that are roasted or baked in an oven until they are dry and crispy. It has a similar texture as that of potato chips and may be sweetened or unsweetened in taste.
Coconut – The tree of life
Coconut (Cocos nucifera) is the most extensive edible fruit of the tropical region and belongs to the palm family of Arecaceae. It is often referred to as “The Tree of Life” due to its diverse usage. It is an indispensable component in various cuisines. Some of the products that are extracted from coconut are coconut oil, coconut water, coconut milk, coconut cream, desiccated coconut and coconut crisps, among many others. Coconut is very healthy and nutritious and is a good source of fibres, proteins and minerals. Apart from its usage in the kitchen, it is also used to build furniture and houses, decorative interiors, or artifacts.
Top 5 Nutritional Benefits of Coconut
Coconuts palm happens to be one of the most cultivated tree species in the world since its nutritional benefits can be introduced into the diet by consuming its wide variety of products. Coconut crisps is an ideal alternative to all-time favorite potato crisps, owing to the nutritional benefits of coconut. Five potential benefits of consuming coconut are as follows:
- Rich in dietary fibre: Coconut has high fibre content in it, which helps keep the stomach fuller for a longer duration but also supports stabilizing the blood sugar level.
- Presence of MCFA’s (medium-chain-fatty-acids): MCFAs are considered a good type of saturated fat since they are stored in energy instead of fats. These fats are directly sent to the liver and converted into energy without circulating in the blood. This in turn, will help in maintaining body weight.
- Health-giving lauric acid: Since lauric acid has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties, its presence in coconut helps to exterminate viruses, bacteria, and infections like ringworm and athlete’s foot.
- Foster thyroid functions: Since the consumption of coconuts increases metabolism, it also fosters thyroid functions.
- Good source of antioxidants: The presence of antioxidants in coconuts help in protecting the cells from oxidative damage. Studies have also shown that the presence of a certain types of antioxidants also prevents DNA damage.
Potential Drawbacks of Coconut Crisps
As we all know, moderation is the key to a healthy diet. Therefore, relishing the coconut crisps in small proportions is ideal for a well-balanced, healthy life. If consumed in excess, it may lead to weight gain increase in blood pressure, and may further contribute to the development of heart diseases. The presence of saturated fats, starch, excess sodium, and food additives added in the packed coconut crisps also tends to the risk of developing underlying chronic diseases. Some people (although rare) also tend to develop allergies due to coconut; in that case, those individuals must refrain from eating coconut or any of its products. Individuals suffering from coconut allergy may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and swelling of the lips and face.
Coconut Crisps Recipe
The portable packets of Coconut crisps are quite easy to find in any supermarket. However, it can be prepared very conveniently at home as well.
- organic extra virgin coconut oil – 1/4 cup
- organic coconut flakes – 3 cups
- sea salt (more if you want extra salty) – 1/2 teaspoon
Steps for preparation
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit
- Melt the coconut oil in a jelly roll pan
- Mix the coconut flakes, and sea salt in the coconut oil
- Bake a total of 8-9 minutes, stirring every 3 until golden brown. Watch carefully, it browns quickly.
- Pour onto a paper towel – enjoy!
Coconut crisps are delicious superfoods and an excellent alternative to widely popular potato crisps. They are nutritious as it is rich in fibre, vitamins, and minerals. It also has anti-microbial and anti-viral properties, which help boost the immune system and ward off various diseases. Therefore, it is beneficial for overall health. But just like any other food, coconut crisps can be dangerous if you’re allergic to coconuts.