Mac and cheese, unlike many pasta dishes, is not Italian. The dish comes from America and is traditionally made from macaroni with melted cheese and bechamel sauce. Macaroni and cheese, also known in American cuisine as mac and cheese, is considered very much an all-American meal. It is called macaroni cheese in English cuisine. A cheese lover’s delight, mac and cheese are cooked with macaroni pasta and cheese sauce, preferably cheddar.
Traditionally this dish is prepared in a casserole and baked in the oven. But, it can also be made on a stovetop in a pan. In the US, this is considered a portion of full-flavored comfort food.
Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States, and James Hemings experienced the authentic taste of macaroni at its finest in Paris. They brought the recipe to Monticello, his main house. Jefferson took a lot of interest, drew a sketch of the pasta, and penned down notes on its preparation. He authorized William Short, the US ambassador to France, to buy a machine for making it. The device, however, did not serve the purpose, and Jefferson imported macaroni and cheese. Since this, macaroni and cheese have become popular in the United States.
How do you make mac and cheese?
Homemade mac and cheese starts with choosing the pasta. The most suitable are macaroni and penne because the cheese sauce sticks to the best and the pasta is easy to scoop from an oven dish. Then, make the bechamel by melting butter, briefly frying flour, and adding milk. Once stirred into a smooth sauce, grated cheese is added to make a creamy cheese sauce. Then put the pasta with the sauce in an oven dish and divide the rest of the cheese over it for a crispy crust. You can add vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower for a complete meal.
Mac and cheese is comfort food beyond a doubt. It is a real calorie blaster, but you would like to turn a blind eye to that because it is unbelievably delicious. Want to make your mac and cheese? Be inspired by this delicious mac and cheese recipe and get started.
Mac and cheese with cauliflower – Recipe
- 300 grams of cauliflower
- 2 red onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50 grams of unsalted almonds
- 150 grams of whole wheat pasta (fusilli, macaroni, penne)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 200 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ bouillon tablet with less salt
- 60 grams of mature 30+ cheese
- Cut the cauliflower florets and the stalk into small pieces.
- Peel off the onions and garlic and chop them finely.
- Roughly chop the almonds.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Add the cauliflower pieces 4 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Drain the pasta and cauliflower.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat the oil in the pan and fry the onions and garlic.
- Add the flour and saute well for a few minutes until it’s fried.
- Add the cold milk in parts and stir well to avoid lumps.
- Add thyme, pepper, nutmeg, and the stock cube and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Mix the cauliflower, pasta, and half of the almonds into the sauce and divide the mixture over a bowl.
- Divide the grated cheese and the rest of the almonds over the pasta and let the dish turn golden yellow in the oven for 20 minutes.
Follow these steps and put the delicious mac and cheese on the table in no time.
Are mac and cheese healthy?
Most versions of mac and cheese contain too much salt and fat to be considered healthy. You can make a healthier version with whole-wheat macaroni, a moderate amount of 30+ cheese, and lots of vegetables.
Mac and cheese: how to store, freeze and reheat?
Leftover mac and cheese can be kept in the fridge for two days after it has cooled down in a tightly closed container. You can also freeze Mac and cheese: it can be stored in the freezer for three months in an airtight container or bag. Take it out of the freezer on the previous night to thaw. It is best to heat up in a preheated oven at 200 °C. Place in a baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the mac and cheese are hot inside.
It is easy to prepare and constitutes a fast and satisfying snack or side dish. Follow this recipe, enjoy mac and cheese in the loving company of friends and family and have a nice meal on your cheat day. Don’t forget to tell us how it was after trying it on your own.