From ancient times to now food plays a vital role in living things. Primitive beings discovered how to use tools live, etc. From that time the seafood is consumed as food. The abundant resource, quick perishing, and good nutritional content in fish makes people add them to their cuisine. So let’s see the facts and health benefits of seafood.
Seafood is nothing but edible aquatic animals used in cuisine. The seafood industry has a turnover of 10.5 billion US dollars in 2020. Seafood culture is started in primitive times in which people do anything for their survival and hunted and eat every food possible. The seafood is divided into 2 categories they are Farm and Wild varieties. Most fishes can be grown in contained spaces like tanks. The farm seafood is catfish, tilapia, and salmon. Wild varieties are very special and sometimes rare species can also be found. Some wild varieties are swordfish, tuna, and sharks.
Shrimp is one of America’s favorite and popular seafood served to people. Shrimp can be grown on farms and also in wild. They are mostly baked, boiled, fried, and barbequed. Some shrimp dishes like gumbo, shrimp creole are favorite taste buds for people.
Salmon and tuna are used variously like they are prepared as seafood and they can also be used in making sandwiches and salads. Salmon is a rich commodity in cost comparing tuna with fat and tuna contains protein. They are popular because of their abundant supply and they are packed as canned goods. They are also used in sushi.
Crab and clams are shellfish that are next most popular to the above seafood. The most consumed crab variety includes king, snow, Dungeness, and blue. Crabs are sold in canned goods and frozen. Clams have a variety of around 150 in the world.
Seafood is the next important food after cereals which is good in protein content. Most seafood is cooked alive and some are cut into steaks, fillets, and chunks. Some of the dishes are cooked differently like some fish are eaten raw, marinated, boiled, fried, soups, sauteed, baked, etc.
The aquatic edible food is not only tasty and juicy it is also healthier for people. Let’s see some of the medicinal benefits of seafood.
- Fish contains many important nutrients like iodine, vitamins, and minerals.
- The fat fish are always good in fat-based nutrition.
- Fishes are famous for their omega-3 fatty acids which are useful for brain function.
- People who eat fish regularly will have less risk of heart problems, and strokes.
- Eating omega-3 fat docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is important for eye and brain development.
- Omega-3 is often recommended to pregnant women and it should be taken in normal amounts.
- People who eat more fish can increase grey matter in their brains.
- Omega-3 acids are useful in improving the effectiveness of antidepressants and reducing depression in people.
- Seafood contains plenty of vitamin D content in them.
- Seafood may reduce the risk of type1 diabetes.
- It may improve the sight of vision.
These are some of the medicinal benefits that seafood can provide. Eating good food and proper physical and mental activities and staying hygienic will improve our lifestyle. So let’s stay healthy and prosper.