Soups are mainly liquid food prepared by combining ingredients of meat or vegetables with stock, milk, or water. Be it for lunch, dinner, or as a starter, soups have always garnered accolades of compliments not only for their low-calorie count but also for their immense health benefits, such as reducing weight, thereby enhancing overall health.
Among a wide range of soups, instant vegan soups are an excellent alternative for ‘vegans’ (i.e., those who exclude all animal-based products from their diets, such as dairy products and meat).[Health] According to research firm Technavio, the global instant soup market will grow by $3.45 billion from 2021-2025.
To add a nutritious diet and satisfy hunger, consumers seek convenient ways by having more instant soup, which leads to its demand. The demand of consumers worldwide also surged during the pandemic, as people were looking for delicious healthy snacks. However, the instant vegan soup packets available in the markets contain preservatives and other unhealthy ingredients to enhance their color, thickness, and texture.
Therefore, not all but many of the brands available in the market lack the required amount of nutritional value. To preserve the nutritional value, the best option is to partially prepare the vegan soups at home and freeze it for later consumption.
Nutritional Benefits of Vegan Instant Soup
Eating soup is a great way to increase the vegetable intake in the diet, thereby leading to several health benefits, such as
- Lowering the weight: Studies have shown that eating soups helps in reducing hunger and increases fullness. Moreover, weight reduction reduces the risk of diabetes and heart attack.
- Aids in digestion: Since vegan soup is plant-based, it contains loads of fibre. The intake of fibre helps regulate intestinal bowel movement, promoting digestion.
- Rich in antioxidants: The vegetables used for preparing vegan soups are rich in antioxidants. The intake of antioxidants in the diet helps prevent spots, dark circles, wrinkles, etc.
- Hydrates the body: Vegetable soups have lots of water in it. Thus, intake of soups, especially during winters, helps to keep the body hydrated.[Health]
Popular health Vegan Soup Recipe
Vegan soups can be easily prepared from almost any vegetable and spices available in the kitchen and be stored in the freezer for later consumption. Some of the delectable recipes are:
The tangy, smooth, and savoury tomato recipe is one of the simplest and quintessential vegan soup recipes. This recipe can be relished all around the year.
● Fresh tomatoes – 4 (medium size)
● Garlic – 4 pieces
● Onion – 1 (medium size)
● Bay leaf – 1
● Coconut cream
● Add 2 cups of water, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, garlic, bay leaves into the pressure cooker and cook for 15 minutes.[Health]
● Next, open the lid of the cooker and let it cool. Discard the bay leaf.
● Add the mix to the blender and blend to form a smooth paste.
● Transfer the paste to the bowl and add water (as required)
● Cook the mix on a medium flame for about 5 minutes and stir well.
● Then add salt and pepper as per the taste.
● Add coconut cream for a creamier taste and texture.
● Pour it into a bowl and enjoy.
● For later use, store it in a sealed container in the freezer, for up to 4 days. Some of the other varieties of instant vegan soups, which are relished by people, are:
● Sweet corn soups: These include fresh sweet corn kernels, water, pepper, cornflour, scallions, celery, oil, and salt.
● Mushroom soups: It includes mushrooms, water, pepper, cornflour, soy milk, celery, oil, and salt.
● Spinach soups: These include spinach, onions, garlic, gram flour, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and coconut cream.
● Tomato and carrot soup: It includes fresh tomatoes, carrot, onions, garlic, gram flour, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and coconut cream.
● Vegetable soup: It includes cabbage, carrots, beans, sweet corn, mushrooms, salt, and pepper.[Health]
If you’re in the mood for some healthy comfort food or just crave a warm meal, then soup may be precisely what you need. Soups define comfort for all, as they are tasty and packed with lots of fibres, proteins, and nutrients. There are many options, from a bowl of tangy tomato soup and savory spinach soup to slightly sweet pumpkin soup.
Apart from providing nutritional value, they help manage weight, reduce hunger, improve digestion, and keep the body hydrated. However, it should be noted that instant vegan soups are only healthy if prepared at home. The instant vegan soups available in powered form in the supermarket have added preservatives, thickening agents, and an excess amount of sodium content than what is actually required by our body.[Health]
These artificial agents make it unhealthy. Thus, the packed version of instant vegan soups should not be consumed regularly.[Health]