Salads are good for us and so does beetroot and potato salad. The beetroot and potato salad are easy to make take little time to cook and are highly nutritious. The salad is very healthy and useful for people of various ages and schedules. You may be a fitness enthusiast or a professional who leads a sedentary lifestyle, the beetroot and potato salad will be useful. It will make your belly full and provide you the required energy to carry on without insisting on gorging on unhealthy foods.
The beetroot and potato salad is popularly known as the Russian salad. The salad owes its origin to a renowned Hermitage restaurant in Moscow. It also goes by Olivier Salad after the head chef of the restaurant, Lucien Olivier who prepared the dish for the first time. The beetroot and potato salad are quite easy to prepare and utterly delicious and nutritious as well.
Preparation of beetroot and potato salad
The most amazing thing about the Russian salad or the beetroot and potato salad is that the ingredients are quite flexible. You can add your ingredients and do away with certain things that you do not like. The main goal is to keep intact the nutrients of the dish. Today, I will tell you the simplistic procedure, alongside the fundamental ingredients to prepare the beetroot and potato salad.
Ingredients for the beetroot and potato salad
- ½ pound beets
- 2 pounds white potatoes
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- ½ cup of diced celery
- ½ cup of minced red onion
- ¼ cup of sweet pickle
- ½ cup of chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of vinegar, particularly the white wine one
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of fresh white pepper
Procedures to prepare the Russian salad or beetroot and potato salad
You may come across various sorts of the preparation process. Here, I will tell the basic way to prepare the beetroot and potato salad in the following manner –
- After sourcing the different ingredients, you need to cook those. It is better to put the beets, potatoes, and carrots in different boiling utensils. Those need to be boiled moderately and after that, drain the water.
- As the vegetables got cooked, they need to cool down. Then peel off the potatoes and beets.
- Keep the carrots and potatoes together in a bowl. But keep the beets separately in another bowl. It is to avoid coloring the carrots and potatoes.
- Then add red onion, celery, relish, pickle, and parsley to the carrots and potatoes. Mix the things well.
- Now, take a medium bowl. Mix mayonnaise, olive oil, wine vinegar, salt, mustard, and pepper.
- Add salad dressing to the carrots and potatoes, then mix effectively with the rubber spatula. Refrigerate the salad for some time or maybe overnight. This is to enable the flavors to mix well.
- As the flavor gets aligned, you are ready to serve the dish. But before that add beets to the salad.
This is the most simplistic way to prepare beetroot and potato salad or Russian salad. You can add your ingredients to make the dish more tasty and exciting. Suppose you want to add green beans or other leafy vegetables like lettuce. It will add variety to the dish. Besides the vegetables, you can have grilled pork chops. Such sorts of addition will enhance the variety of the beetroot and potato salad and make your belly fuller.
The nutritional aspect of beetroot and potato salad
The preparation process of the beetroot and potato salad is quite easy and simultaneously healthy. You can make it a purely vegetarian dish that is gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free. The Russian salad has the following nutritional elements:
- Calories – 314
- Carbohydrate – 27 grams
- Fat – 22 grams
- Protein – 3 grams
Bottom Line of the beetroot and potato salad
Preparing the beetroot and potato salad is very easy. It takes around 20-25 minutes to prepare the salad and serve around 10 people at a time. The Russian salad is quite popular among health-conscious people and everyone is in awe of its amazing taste. So if you want a full meal that will take care of your health, you can gorge upon beetroot and potato salad the next time.