- The iconic Makkah Masjid or Mecca Masjid is one of the biggest mosques in India located in the Indian city of Hyderabad. The 17th-century mosque can accommodate around 10,000 people. Makkah Masjid is located quite close to other landmarks in Hyderabad – Charminar, Laad Bazaar, and Chowmahalla Palace.
- It is one of the oldest mosques constructed in the Indian subcontinent. In 2014, Makkah Masjid was listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO under the ‘Monuments and Forts of the Deccan Sultanate’. Makkah Masjid should be on your itinerary list if you visit Hyderabad. The trip to Hyderabad is incomplete without paying a visit to the Makkah Masjid. The mosque was built with commissioned bricks bought from the holiest Islamic site, Mecca.
- The central arch of the mosque was built with such bricks, hence the name Makkah Masjid. Today, I will throw some insight into the marvel architecture and uniqueness of the oldest mosque situated in South India.
History of Makkah Mosque
- Makkah Masjid is a holy shrine for the Muslim community that leads to a divine aura in the old city of Hyderabad. The construction of the mosque was initiated in the early 17th century.
- In 1614, Sultan Muhammad Qutub Shah, the 6th monarch of the Qutb Shahi dynasty. But the construction was completed by the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb in 1693.
- History says that while laying the foundation stone of Makkah Masjid, Sultan Muhammad Qutub Shah invited the pious religious people across the city for the purpose. The condition was that only the one who had practiced the religion sincerely, like never missed the midnight prayer will be eligible to lay the foundation stone. But no one took the initiative, so Sultan himself volunteered to lay the foundation stone of Makkah Masjid.
- It is believed that the Sultan had never missed his midnight prayer since he aged 12.
A flight of pigeon at the backdrop of Makkah Masjid
Architecture of Makkah Masjid
- Makkah Masjid is situated adjacent to the iconic Charminar of Hyderabad in its southwest direction. It is 225 feet in length while its width is 180 feet, alongside a height of 75 feet. The hall is 67 meters in length, having a width of 54 meters, and 23 meters of height. The main dome of the mosque is rested on 15 arches. A high blocking wall stands on the western side for Mehrab supported by two huge octagonal columns built by a single granite.
- Makkah Masjid is closely located to Charminar just at a distance of two hundred yards. So those visiting the Charminar in Hyderabad will not miss the sight of the grand mosque located at a stone throw distance. Makkah Masjid houses the sacred relic of Prophet Muhammad in a room in the courtyard. It enhances the sanctity of the shrine and accommodates around 10,000 worshippers at a time.
The Uniqueness of Makkah Masjid
- Makkah Masjid right from the construction phase has a divine aura. The small red bricks that are used to build the central arch were brought from the holiest place of the Islam practitioners on earth, Mecca. Since 1803, the mosque has been the resting place of the Nizams of Hyderabad. The tomb of the Asaf Jahi monarchs and their family members is located on the southern edge of Makkah Masjid.
- It is very easy to reach Makkah Masjid as the mosque is centrally located in the heart of the Old City of Hyderabad, Telangana. So you can access the holy shrine from wherever you are in the city. Makkah Masjid is open to visitors every day from 4’o clock in the morning to 9.30 PM the night. The surroundings of the shrine are abuzz with various eateries and restaurants as Makkah Masjid receives a substantial footfall throughout the day.
- So nothing to worry about if you miss your meal of the day, the place has various options like Biriyani, fast foods, juice stalls, dry fruit shops, Irani Chai, and Ice candies. You can also make your visit to Makkah Masjid memorable by buying souvenirs from the adjoining Laad Bazaar. The latter is known for its various jewelry items. Telangana Tourism and other tour operators offer a comprehensive tourism package to Makkah Masjid and the Old City of Hyderabad.
- So whenever you visit Telengana or Hyderabad, do not miss to visit the holy shrine of Makkah Masjid.
February 14, 2022