About Tarkwa Bay Beach:
Tarkwa Bay Beach, located near Lagos, Nigeria, is a hidden gem along the Atlantic coast. Its unique appeal lies in its seclusion; the beach is accessible only by boat, ensuring a more intimate and serene experience for visitors.
To reach this picturesque destination, individuals need to take a short boat ride from points like Maroko or CMS in Lagos. This exclusivity adds to the charm of Tarkwa Bay, making it a favorite spot for those seeking a peaceful getaway from the bustling city life.
Once you arrive at Tarkwa Bay, you are greeted by a breathtaking panorama of golden sands and crystal-clear blue waters. The beach is embraced by rocky terrain, enhancing its natural beauty.
Tarkwa Bay is not just a place to sunbathe and swim; it offers a range of activities for visitors. Whether you’re an avid surfer looking for the perfect wave or someone who enjoys beach volleyball, Tarkwa Bay has something for everyone.
Surfing enthusiasts can take advantage of the nearby surfing schools that offer lessons for beginners, making it an excellent spot for both novices and experienced surfers alike.
While the beach is relatively undeveloped in terms of commercial facilities, there are basic amenities available. Small food stalls dot the area, offering local delicacies and refreshing beverages
. Visitors often bring their own picnic supplies, creating a cozy atmosphere for families and groups of friends. Additionally, there are places where beachgoers can rent chairs and umbrellas, ensuring a comfortable day out in the sun.
Beyond the beach experience, Tarkwa Bay provides an opportunity to engage with the local community. The beach is located near a traditional fishing village, allowing visitors to interact with the friendly residents and gain insights into the local way of life.
This cultural exchange adds depth to the overall experience, making a trip to Tarkwa Bay not just a beach outing but also a chance to connect with the rich heritage of the area.
Where is Tarkwa Bay Beach Located?
Away from the hustle and bustle in Lagos Nigeria is located a beautiful, serene and nature-friendly tourist attraction and holiday resort known as Tarkwa Bay Beach.
arkwa Bay Beach, a hidden gem along the picturesque coastline of Nigeria, is nestled near Lagos, one of Africa’s bustling metropolises. Situated on the Atlantic Ocean, Tarkwa Bay is accessible only by water, adding an element of exclusivity to its charm.
To reach this secluded paradise, visitors embark on a short boat journey from various points in Lagos, such as Maroko or CMS, sailing across the waters to this serene haven. The boat ride itself is an adventure, offering glimpses of the city’s skyline receding into the distance as the boat approaches the tranquil shores of Tarkwa Bay.**
Upon arrival, visitors are greeted by a breathtaking panorama of nature’s wonders. The beach, embraced by rocky cliffs, boasts golden sands that stretch into the distance, meeting the crystal-clear blue waters of the Atlantic.
The rugged terrain surrounding the beach enhances its natural beauty, creating a scenic backdrop that captivates the senses. Surrounded by the soothing sounds of the ocean waves and the gentle rustle of palm trees, Tarkwa Bay exudes an air of tranquility that instantly transports visitors to a world of peace and serenity.
Aside from its natural splendor, Tarkwa Bay is also known for its proximity to a traditional fishing village. This close-knit community not only adds to the beach’s authenticity but also offers visitors a chance to engage with the local way of life.
As the sun sets over the horizon, painting the sky with hues of orange and pink, Tarkwa Bay Beach transforms into a magical realm, making it a destination that lingers in the hearts and memories of all those fortunate enough to experience its beauty and charm.
It is an artificial sheltered beach located in Onisiwo Island, Lagos Harbour Nigeria.
As you might have known before now, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the most populous black nation in the world. Nigeria is a country that occupies a vast land area of about 923,768 square kilometres.
It consists of 36 stages, which are grouped into 6 geopolitical zones including, the north-central, north-east, north-west, south-east, south-west and south-south, with the Federal Capital Territory in Abuja.
Of the many cities in Nigeria, Lagos stands out as the largest and most popular city. In addition, Lagos is the sixth most popular city in the world, boasting a huge population of about 17 million residents in its tiny landmass of 1,171.38 square kilometres. Lagos is recognized by the world for its beach resorts, nightlife and activity.
Examples of Beach Resorts in Lagos
There are over 30 known beach resorts situated in Lagos Nigeria. While some are natural, others were artificially created, favoured by Lagos being a coastal city mostly bordered by the Atlantic ocean.
These Beaches are great locations for self-meditations, lover’s dates, getaways, reunions, honeymoon, family bonding, picnics or generally for relaxation.
If you’re new in Lagos, here are some beach resorts you might love to visit:
- Atlas Beach
- Coconut Beach
- Elegushi Royal Beach
- Eleko Beach
- Ilashe Beach
- Inagbe Resort & Beach
- Kuramo Beach
- La Campagne Tropicana Beach
- Nikki Beach Resort
- Landmark Beach
- Oniru Beach
- Victoria Beach
1. Eko Tourist Beach Resort: Located in Akodo, Eko Tourist Beach Resort is a popular destination offering a range of amenities, including comfortable accommodations, water sports, restaurants, and entertainment facilities. It’s a perfect place for both relaxation and adventure.
2. La Campagne Tropicana Beach Resort: Situated along the Lekki Peninsula, La Campagne Tropicana Beach Resort offers a blend of traditional African hospitality and modern luxury. Guests can enjoy beachfront cottages, spa treatments, cultural performances, and a variety of water-based activities.
3. Inagbe Grand Resorts and Leisure: Inagbe Grand Resorts is located on Inagbe Island and offers a serene environment away from the city’s hustle and bustle. The resort features comfortable lodgings, a private beach, swimming pools, restaurants, and recreational activities.
4. Whispering Palms Beach Resort: Nestled in the coastal town of Badagry, Whispering Palms Beach Resort offers a tranquil atmosphere and beautiful views of the Atlantic Ocean. Guests can enjoy well-furnished chalets, a private beach, cultural displays, and boat cruises on the lagoon.
5. Atican Beach Resort: Atican Beach Resort is a family-friendly destination in Lekki, Lagos. It offers cozy cottages, a clean beach, water sports facilities, and a restaurant serving delicious local and international cuisine.
6. Tarkwa Bay Beach Resort: Tarkwa Bay also has beachfront accommodations for visitors who prefer a more secluded beach experience. The resort offers comfortable rooms, beach access, and the opportunity to enjoy the unique charm of Tarkwa Bay.
Of all the beaches in Lagos, one of the oldest and most popular beach resorts in Lagos is the Lekki Beach Resort, which is located on 157 acres of beach land facing the Atlantic.
What makes Tarkwa Bay Beach special?
One reason why Tarkwa Bay Beach stands out from all other Beach Resorts in Lagos is that it can only be accessible via boats or water taxis, and takes about 15 minutes.
1. Secluded Location: Tarkwa Bay’s secluded location, accessible only by boat, sets it apart from many other beaches. This seclusion provides a more private and intimate atmosphere, attracting travelers looking for a peaceful escape.
2. Scenic Beauty: The beach boasts breathtaking natural beauty with its golden sands, clear blue waters, and picturesque rocky surroundings. The combination of these elements creates a visually stunning environment, making it a favorite spot for photographers and nature enthusiasts.
3. Authentic Cultural Experience: Tarkwa Bay is located near a traditional fishing village, offering visitors a chance to immerse themselves in the local culture. Interacting with the friendly residents provides a unique glimpse into the daily lives and customs of the local community, enhancing the overall travel experience.
4. Surfing Opportunities: The beach’s waves make it a popular destination for surfers, both beginners and experienced. Surfing schools nearby offer lessons, making it an excellent place for individuals interested in learning or honing their surfing skills.
5. Relatively Undeveloped Environment: Unlike some other commercialized beaches, Tarkwa Bay maintains a more natural and undeveloped environment. While basic amenities are available, the beach’s rustic charm appeals to those seeking a genuine and unspoiled beach experience.
6. Community Connection: The friendly atmosphere created by both the visitors and the local residents fosters a sense of community. This communal spirit, coupled with the warm hospitality of the locals, makes Tarkwa Bay a welcoming and inviting destination.
7. Unique Access Experience: The journey to Tarkwa Bay itself, involving a boat ride, adds to the adventure and anticipation of the visit. This unique mode of access contributes to the beach’s allure and makes the trip more memorable for travelers.
The most popular places to get a boat heading to Tarkwa Bay Beach are Mekwe Jetty, Tarzan Marine & Marina.
When was Tarkwa Bay Beach established?
Tarkwa Bay Beach has been in existence since the 1960s. It was created during the construction of the Lagos Harbour.
The Lagos Harbour is a harbour in Lagos State, situated north of Ilado the loses to Elegbata channel.
The Lagos Harbour is also known as Premiere Port (Apapa Quays). It is the earliest and largest port in Nigeria, established in 1913.
How much do I need to visit Tarkwa Bay Beach?
If you’d love to visit Tarkwa Bay Beach, you don’t need a lot of money. Tarkwa Bay Entrance fee goes for as low as N200. The chairs cost N300 per chair, the table goes for N100 and a tent is N300. In summary, with just a Thousand Naira, you can settle all expenses at Tarkwa. Although, of course, you might want to get some edibles.
What can I eat at Tarkwa Bay Beach?
A certain community of people live around the beach, and these people are known as the Tarkwa people and are led by their community head who is known as the Baale of Tarkwa.
The people of Tarkwa are hard workers. While most of their men are fishermen, their women engage in petty trading, especially making available things tourist visitors can eat and drink while at the beach.
A popular delicacy at Tarkwa Bay is Fresh Fish Barbecue often prepared by natives. These fishes are often very fresh, as they come just right out of the ocean.
One remarkable indication of how hard-working the people of Tarkwa are is the recognition of Tarkwa Bay among “the well kept” beaches in Lagos.
What kind of activities takes place at Tarkwa Bay Beach?
It is often a hub-up of many activities, ranging from swimming to horse riding, to riding power bikes, playing volleyball, playing by the banks of the water, and generally all forms of outdoor recreational activities.
What kind of clothes do people wear to Tarkwa Bay Beach?
There is no specific kind of clothes to wear to Tarkwa. Any clothes generally playful and free is okay. If you’d love to swim or play with the water, it’s advisable to get a swimming suit along. Be sure to wear them before coming to the Beach, because there are no changing rooms in Tarkwa Bay.
How Much Is the Entry Fee To Tarkwa Bay?
The general entrance fee at Tarkwa Bay Beach is N200 per person. This makes it one of the most affordable beaches to visit in Lagos, compared to similar locations where visitors pay as high as N5,000 per person.
Meanwhile, the gate fee at Tarkwa Bay fluctuates depending on how you can negotiate and the day of the week you visit. Sometimes, visitors are charged N300, which is still really cheap.
The entry fee does not cover the spot, activities, food, or drinks that you patronize on the beach.
At Tarkwa Bay Beach, there’s no gap between cost and comfort. A table and chair will cost you as low as N100 and N300 respectively, while a tent will cost you N300. With all these paid for, you are ready to set up the space you’ve paid to occupy on the beach.
As you plan to visit the beach, keep in mind all these extra costs as they’d reflect in your overall expenses for the trip. And yes, as far as beaches in Lagos go, this is a very affordable location to visit.
Tarkwa Bay Beach Opening hours
Bay Beach opens from 9 am to 6 pm. The final boat out of Tarkwa Bay is scheduled to leave at 6 pm.
This means that you need to calculate the activities you want to engage in versus the time you need to leave there. Some beaches in Lagos open their doors till as late as 3 am but that is not true for Tarkwa Bay.
Fun Things To Do In Tarkwa Bay Beach
There are a bunch of things you can do to have a nice time in Beach. You are in for an even more exciting experience if you are a water sports enthusiast.
The popular activities to do in Beach are Swimming, Surfing, Game of beach soccer, and volleyball. But it doesn’t end there. The food experience is also part of the fun. But if you don’t provide yourself with everything you intend to eat, you may be disappointed.
Are you a visitor to Lagos or you’re looking for a tourist attraction where you can relax and get re-energized to face life’s challenges? Welcome to Tarkwa Bay Beach!
In conclusion, Tarkwa Bay Beach stands as a testament to the beauty of nature and the richness of cultural experiences. Its secluded shores offer a canvas for various activities, from thrilling water sports to serene sunbathing and cultural explorations.
The warm hospitality of the local community adds depth to the visit, creating memories that linger long after the sand is left behind. Tarkwa Bay isn’t just a destination; it’s a mosaic of adventures, relaxation, and connections.
For travelers seeking a blend of tranquility, excitement, and authentic cultural interactions, Tarkwa Bay Beach remains an unparalleled gem along the Nigerian coastline, inviting all to discover its wonders and create unforgettable moments amidst the sun, sand, and sea.
-by Sambhavi Yadav