gond katira in a gum bowl.
What is Gond Katira?
Gond Katira a.k.a Tragacanth Gum is a natural gum obtained from the saps of a locoweed plant. It naturally evolves in the form of twisted crystals that expand when mixed with water.
The gum is:
- Viscous (Jelly-Like)
- Odourless (No smell)
- Tasteless (No Taste)
Where is it used?
- Ayurvedic Medicines
- Manufacturing Papers
- Cooking Industry
Common Facts About Gond Katira:
- Name: Tragacanth Gum
- Obtained By: Species of Astragalus
- Common Name: Shiraz, Shiraz Gum, Gum Dragon
- Native Region and Geographical Distribution: Middle Eastern Region of the world
- Sanskrit Name: Galgal
Nutritional Facts of Gond Katira:
white gond katria in glass bowl
Why is Gond Katira in high demand?
Gond Katira is in high demand because of its several benefits to every individual in one way or the other. Do you know what are its dual properties which hype its demand even more? Its properties are both warming and cooling and thus it can be seen and eaten in any season.
Let’s look into its benefits one by one:
As I mentioned above it’s even in more demand because of its dual properties, its cooling property decreases the temperature of the body and makes us feel refreshed during hot summer days.
During summer, people also suffer from excessive nose bleeding due to extreme heat. So, in this Gond Katira can help in making summer chilled drinks which will keep us cool.
Due to the purgative properties present in Gond Katira, it stimulates the movement of the intestines, thus helping in maintaining a healthy digestive system. It acts as a laxative, hence providing relief from constipation, acidity, diarrhoea, and other stomach-related problems.
Gond Katira helps in strengthening your immunity and helps you fight any kind of disease.
It also helps in the regeneration or recovery of cells when a person goes with an injury.
The nutrition value that Gond Katira contains helps pregnant women to regain their strength post-pregnancy. It is also shown in studies that Gond Katira increases the production of milk that helps mothers in breastfeeding.
As it acts as a cooling agent, it can control blood pressure and bring it back to its normal state.
This wonder herb is loaded with calcium and is beneficial for those who have weaknesses in their bone and helps regain strength.
Its medicinal properties help in treating urinary tract issues while reducing diabetes-induced urinary complications.
If you are facing migraines so often, you can take Edible gum with curd in the morning during peak summer days. This remedy is beneficial in vomiting sensation which is caused due to migraine.
Edible gum possesses adaptogen properties, enhancing the body’s ability to restore its normal physiological functioning and secure it from the damaging effects of stress.
Gond ladoo in a plate.
Benefits of Gond Katira other than Health: In other different Industries
- It is used as a stabilizing agent, emulsifier, and texture addition in a variety of culinary items such as sauces, salad dressings, confections, ice cream, and so on.
- This is used to thicken ointments, lotions, and calico printing dyes, as well as to dress textiles, make glues, textile dyes, watercolours, and provide gloss in ink.
- Because it extends the life of lotions for hands and hair, it’s also utilized as a thickening agent or lubricant.
- By its non-stick properties, it is commonly used in the creation of artist pastels.
- It’s practised in the paper industry as a thickening agent.
- It’s also been used as a stabilizer and binder in cosmetics, bookbinding glue, hand creams, and apparel stiffening.
- It’s used as a leather dressing or leather goods polishing product.
- It’s used to print on wool, silk, and crepes in textile printing. They are also used in the printing of dyes on acrylic blankets, carpets, and cotton textiles.
- It is frequently used in the cosmetics sector as a suspending agent and a medium in labs, among other things.
- It may be used to make sugar flowers, which can be used as cake decorations.
Even Though Gond Katira is in high demand it has its Side-Effects
The herb Gond Katira is well-known for its several health advantages. Tragacanth gum has been deemed safe for usage. However, some people may experience adverse effects as a result of chewing this gum.
These negative consequences are outlined below:-
- If not taken with enough water, Gond Katira might cause choking or bowel obstruction in certain persons.
- Certain people are allergic to gum, which is found in foods and other pharmaceuticals. Such persons should avoid consuming tragacanth gum since it may trigger an allergic response.
- Some people may get respiratory issues after consuming Gond Katira.
Gond Katira is a jelly-like gum that is odourless and tasteless. It is in high demand because of its several benefits to every individual. It has properties of both warming and cooling and thus it can be seen and eaten in any season.
I am impressed by this article as both pros and cons are well explained. Thankyou Devanshi Nigotiya