Plants and trees provide food for people in different ways. They give fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. We have relied on this food source from ancient times until now. In that order, today we are going to see about Rajgira Seeds, also called the Amaranthus genus and their medicinal benefits.
The Amaranthus plant found in Northern Argentina dates back from 8000-7000 years ago. The name Amaranth is derived from the Greek word “amarantos,” meaning everlasting. It was used as a staple food by Aztecs, and they used it in ceremonies and rituals. Amaranth seeds are banned in Spain because the seeds were used for human practices. There are more than 60 species of Amaranth, but only 3 of them are commercialized. These plants grow in bushy forms and are 10 feet in height. This cluster flower growth leads to more production of seeds, and a single plant can produce around 60,000 seeds a year. Some research says that Amaranth seeds are more nutritious than wheat and rice because of the amino acids which help absorb calcium and antibodies in the human body. Using Amaranth seeds, we can prepare bread and granola bars, which can also be popped as popcorns.
To grow the Amaranth plant, we must follow certain conditions for a good harvest. The plant grows in well-drained soil or soil with a neutral or acidic PH level. They grow around 5-10 feet in height and 2-5 feet wide. They grow in clusters, and their flowers have different colors like red, pink, burgundy, orange, and green. When planting more than one seedling, we need to plant them 10-15 inches apart from each other. This is because they need breathing room for their growth. The plants need to be watered average amount and need to be a little moisturized. But excessive watering can make the plant’s roots rot and damage the plant. They can tolerate a decent humidity, and it is susceptible to frost. By following the above facts and following them correctly, we can expect a good harvest around summer and fall.
Amaranth grains consist of many nutrients that benefit humans in many ways. Let’s see some of the health benefits of Amaranth grains.
- A cooked Amaranth consists of nutrients like protein, carbs, fat, manganese, magnesium, iron, selenium, and copper.
- The presence of manganese in Amaranth greatly benefits people because it improves the brain’s functioning and protects the brain from neurological diseases.
- The presence of iron in them helps in anaemia and helps improve blood production.
- The antioxidants in Amaranth help in the prevention of free radical formation in our body which leads to stress. By this, we can prevent and fight against blood pressure and cardiac diseases.
- Most grains consist of Gluten which people are allergic to. But Amaranth grains are Gluten-free, and people can able to have some grains without the fear of allergies. And people with celiac disease can also have some grains and energy it provides.
- The presence of protein in the grain helps in weight loss and constipation. People who need to reduce weight can add this to their diet.
- Research says that Amaranth seeds contain anti-inflammatory content, preventing excessive damage. But there is no evidence of its effects on the human body.
These are some of the health benefits that Amaranth seeds provide us. We can have Amaranth in many ways, and we can make them as flour and bake bread, make popcorn with them, cook them as porridge, etc. By adding them to our diet, we can able to improve our health. So let’s have a tasty and healthy Amaranth and a perfect life routine.