Introduction to Caterpillars
Caterpillar are one of the smallest species in the world. Caterpillar are the early stage of butterflies. As we all know, butterflies have many varieties of species. Caterpillar can be 1 mm to 14 cm long. During this, caterpillars eat as much as they can so they can transform into an adult form that is a butterfly. Caterpillar can live up to 2 to 5 weeks as caterpillars.
- The egg- The eggs of the butterfly are very light in color as it is very small. Butterflies lay one egg at a time, not more than that.
- The caterpillar- The caterpillar is the smallest creature in the world.
- The pupa- The pupa is the butterfly form that lives in the cocoon.
- The adult ( butterfly) – Is the most beautiful creature of god’s creation. Its colors are very mesmerizing.
As we all know, a caterpillar is a small creature but its vision is not so good as it can only see a few things.
Facts of Caterpillar
- Caterpillar are rich in proteins so many species eat caterpillar for proteins. To defend this caterpillars are very defensive. Its appearance changes so that the enemy is not able to find the caterpillar.
- Animals that love caterpillars to eat are flies, birds, bugs, beetles, human beings, etc.
- Interesting part is that caterpillar have 12 eyes and some species of caterpillar have 10 eyes.
- Caterpillar takes about 3 weeks to turn into a butterfly.
- Caterpillars can only be seen during the summer season and during the winter season they bury themselves in the deep soil so that they can live safely
- Caterpillar has 4000 muscles in its body.
- Caterpillars can also produce silk to form a cocoon which in turn turns into a pupa. Humans also use this silk for making dresses. During this formation of silk, humans mostly kill caterpillars for their selfishness.
- Caterpillars move in waves like that is the reason they move very slowly as compared to other species.
- Caterpillars have to shed their skin to form a beautiful butterfly.
- Caterpillars do not have a brain or any nervous system. That is the reason that they don’t feel anything. The nervous system is only recognized during the pupa stage.
- The butterflies produce toxins like substances which can be very sticky. This sticky substance helps the butterfly to catch the prey which is some small insects.
Types of Caterpillar
- Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly Caterpillar
This species looks like a small snake. Their eyes are black.
- Hierarchy Butterfly Caterpillar
This species looks very weird as it looks like a devil with antennas. But the adult form of this butterfly looks very beautiful to mesmerize.
- Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar
These species are orange, black, and white. The caterpillar turns into an adult in 2 weeks.
- Puss Caterpillar
The caterpillar of this species looks like a fluffy doll. It can be poisonous when it comes in contact with our skin. Symptoms are swelling, headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting which can be felt if the caterpillar comes in contact with the skin.
- Zebra Butterfly Caterpillar
This caterpillar looks exactly like a zebra as its color is black and white. This butterfly is one of the butterflies which has narrow wings.
- Saddleback Caterpillar
The caterpillars of this species are brown and black which can be very mesmerizing. This species looks like some fluffy ball.
- Moth Caterpillar
This type of caterpillar is the biggest caterpillar of all species. It can be about 14cm long. Butterflies of this species are so vibrant in color.
- Tobacco Hornworm Caterpillar
The caterpillars of this species are green in color. It also looks like a worm. Its length is 10 cm long. It is a harmless caterpillar as one can grow it in their home.
Caterpillar are the smallest creatures in the world. They are also important for a good food cycle. Humans should not harm the caterpillar, they are also part of the earth. Silk can be taken out from other sources.