What are the top 6 Broccoli health benefits, fact & recipe
- Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that comes in the cabbage group, with the biological name Brassica oleracea. Iti looks like cauliflower with stem and flower head, but It is dark green. Cauliflower also falls in the Brassica species of vegetables.
- It falls in the category of superfoods for its high nutrient value and is good to consume steamed or cooked rather than raw. Boiling it is not recommended as it reduces the nutrient levels. Other vegetables in the same Brassica oleracea are cabbage, romanesco broccoli, Brussel sprouts etc. Broccoli or tender stem broccoli is a hybrid obtained from broccoli and kai-lan.
Broccoli Facts & Information
- It originated in the Mediterranean during the 6th century and then in ancient Rome. The cultivation of it then slowly spread to northern Europe and northern America during the 18th and 19th centuries by Italian immigrants.
- Finally, after the second world war, the breeding of it expanded in the USA, Japan, and more countries worldwide. The top Broccoli producing countries are China, the USA, India, Spain, Poland, Italy, Mexico, France, Pakistan, and Egypt.
Common 3 types of Broccoli
Main three common types of it
1. Sprouting 2.Calabrese 3.Purple cauliflower. Purple cauliflower is a variety of it also found in Europe and North America in red, green, and white colors. More varieties are Purple sprouting, Sun King, Green Goliath, Blue wind, and more. Broccoli cultivation in India started in the Tapi district of Gujrat by seven farmers, which has proved profitable for them.
Top 6 Broccoli
- Nutritional value
- Raw broccoli has multiple nutritional advantages. It is low in calories with some amount of protein, fiber, sugar, and minimum fat content. The other essential vitamins present in it include vitamin C, vitamin B9, vitamin K1, vitamin B9 or folate, manganese, iron, and potassium.
- Vitamin K1 promotes bone health, while folic acid is good for pregnant women for tissue growth and cell function. Vitamin C improves immunity and skin health. The protein content in Broccoli is good for growth and helps in building blocks of the body. Vitamin C helps heal wounds and maintains healthy skin.
- Heart health
The potassium content in it is an essential mineral that helps manage blood pressure and prevents heart issues. As per studies, It can reduce triglyceride levels and bad cholesterol, preventing heart diseases. It is also a fiber-rich food with antioxidants that reduces heart issues and helps maintain heart health.
- It improves Immunity and digestion
The antioxidant properties of it are one of the best advantage which support health in many ways. It helps reduce inflammation, aids digestion, and supports gut health. The antioxidants zeaxanthin and lutein also prevent cellular damage in the eyes and oxidative stress. It supports healthy gut function, and bowel regularity and reduces colon inflammation.
4. Mental Health
It’s bioactive compounds and other nutrients restrict aging of the brain or mental decline due to age. The presence of Sulforaphane in it is also found to support brain function.
- It have Anticancer
The bioactive compounds in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli helps reduce chronic diseases and prevents cell damage. As per some small studies, cruciferous vegetables help prevent multiple types of cancer like colorectal, kidney, prostate, or breast cancer.
- Blood sugar
A higher intake of fiber is found to reduce blood sugar levels. It is good in fiber as well as antioxidants which help maintain blood sugar levels or control diabetes.
Broccoli Soup Recipe
It’s soup is not only easy to make but also filling and nutritious. This can be a quick and healthy snack for you to enjoy at any time of the day. Let’s have a look at the recipe.
- Broccoli: 1 medium-sized
- Full cream: 1 cup
- Chopped garlic: 1 tablespoon
- Butter: 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper: As per taste
- Oregano: 1 tablespoon
- Boil it and blend it with one cup of water in a blender to make a smooth consistency. Heat butter in a pan and add garlic. When the garlic starts browning, add the blended it and cream. Keep mixing the liquid so that the cream mixes thoroughly. Once it starts boiling, add salt and pepper. After 2 minutes, add oregano and remove it from the flame. Serve hot with multigrain bread.
- When buying broccoli, always pick green and fresh ones. Decaying broccoli is yellow or wilting, so avoiding them is better. They can be cooked in many ways. Stir-frying multiple vegetables with it is a healthy option. Another tip is to avoid storing it in the refrigerator after washing.
- It is better to wash before cooking as it remains fresh and crunchy for longer. Although there is a low risk of contamination, it is best to avoid it if you are allergic to cruciferous vegetables. In case any problems arise after consumption like swelling, etc., medical help is advised.
Various green vegetables are beneficial for health. It is one of them. It is easy to cook, blends well with multiple vegetables and ingredients, and Thus it is popular worldwide.
Also read this:- 10-beetroot-recipes-erakina