A little tour to Anand Bhavan-Erakina
The Anand Bhavan in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh is the historic house museum that belongs to the Nehru Family.
A distant view of Fascinating Mansion: Anand Bhawan, Lucknow
The Anand Bhavan which was used to be the residence of the Nehru family is now a famous museum that holds some wonderful artifacts and articles of the time of the independence movement in India. Motilal Nehru, who had been the president of the congress twice and also the father of our first prime minister of India, personally designed this Anand Bhavan.
The Swaraj Bhavan was the prior residence of the Nehru family that was converted as an office of the Indian National Congress that’s when the new Nehru residence was designed in the nineteenth century. The late prime minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, and the first woman prime minister of India, Indira Gandhi were born there. The mansion is the symbol of the Indian freedom struggle. Various freedom struggles and momentous decisions were taken in the Anand Bhavan.
Anand Bhavan was given to the government of India in 1970 by our Iron Lady, Indira Gandhi. It was Indira Gandhi who ordered to covert the Bhavan into the Museum. The participation of the Nehru family in the struggle for independence is vividly described by the exhibit of the house. The bedroom and the study of Nehru is the most fascinating part of the museum.
One room from the mansion was dedicated to the father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi where he used to stay during his visit to the city and one room belonged to Indira Gandhi where all her belonging were kept. The belongings of Mr. Motilal Nehru and Jawaharlal were housed in the drawing-room of what have today as a museum.
The tourists enjoy the study of the museum where several bookshelves are available that are filled with titles dedicated to Lenin and Marx. outside the Anand Bhavan, there is an outhouse that holds a picture gallery, it is wholly dedicated to the journey of Jawaharlal Nehru. To visit this wonderful museum and gain some amazon experience and thorough study of freedom events, tourists can visit from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Architecture and history
- The mansion was being purchased by Motilal Nehru in 1900 at 1 church road for Rs. 19,000. It needed extreme repair as it was in use for a long period of time.
- It took around 10 years in repairing and renovating the house in which the furniture was brought from China and Europe personally by Motilal Nehru. Finest furniture from abroad gave it the British estate’s look converted it into a palace with the touch of the traditional interior.
- The former owner of this mansion wanted his mansion to be part of British property and serve their need in India which ironically later turned into the headquarter where Indian National Congress ended the British rule.
- During the period of independence, many activists, leaders, and party members visited this mansion.
- The high ceiling of the room and pillars gave the mansion a magnificent view.
- The mansion became the main center of India’s independent movement when Jawaharlal Nehru grew up and has taken over the initiative of the Indian freedom struggle.
- This house was informally known as all India congress committee headquarters during the 1920s, and later in 1930, it was donated to the Indian national congress.
- Later the house became headquarter for the local government in
- Another house was built and named Anand Bhavan, next to the mansion. The old mansion was named Swaraj Bhavan.
Today, this huge mansion is serving the tourists as one of the great historic house museums holding the valuable events of freedom.
More to explore in Allahabad
Beautiful Khusro Bagh Monument in Allahabad.
Anand Bhavan is not the only famous place to see in Allahabad, it holds some mesmerizing places Hanuman Mandir, Khusro Bagh, all saints cathedral, Allahabad Fort, Ashoka pillar and the list is endless.
A beautiful city in India with religion, spiritualism, history, and politics in its every corner. Allahabad is also known as llahabad means garden of Allah named by Akbar one of the most powerful rulers. The city is popularly known for its diverse culture, beautiful people, ancient tombs, gardens, restaurants, and parks.