People from ancient times and today are depending on nature and the food resource in it. The people in historic times eat foods like fruits, meat, fish, etc. Likewise, Salmon, the 102cm lengthy fish, is a famous food source from historic times till today. One of the favorite dishes of America and fellow nations, in which they are consumed more. Let’s see some of the facts and medicinal benefits of Salmon.
Salmon fish swimming on a stream
Salmon belong to the family of Salmonidae belonging to the regions of the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. They are able to live in freshwater and also live in oceans. When they are born, they are left in freshwater. Then they travel to sea for their maturation period, spend a few amounts of time–around 4-5 years–and they return to the freshwater well matured. After the return, they start laying eggs in freshwater in high-altitude freshwater streams.
smoked salmon dish
When salmon became a staple food of Europeans and countries near them like Spain, the taste was liked by people and they started fishing for salmon. The demand for salmon increased and the catching of them increased too. The recipe spread all over the world and the demand even got bigger and the introduction of canned salmon food went to the peak. This leads to the reduction of species count. From 1215 AD, the reduction of species count started and led to a major drop.
When the Pacific salmon was found in North America at first, there wasn’t a big demand but as time went on it became the major food resource of North America. As the technology in fishing equipment improved, about 20,000 pounds of salmon were caught in a day. The turnover of the salmon industry is 50,170million dollars and the amount is estimated to increase in 2028 by 76,143million.
Today’s salmon count is in lakhs which was countless before. Some salmon aren’t able to travel back to their home place because of nets blocking their way and habitat destruction makes them die and their reproduction stops. Increased population and demand made the population decline for salmon. Bears also tend to eat salmon as their food and the leftovers are considered as nutrients. These are the reasons for the species’ downfall. But the farming of salmon by retailers is the reason salmon still exists on people’s plate.
A picture of salmon dish
Salmon is considered a nutritious food on the planet. Their taste and nutritional content are helpful in the prevention of various diseases. Some of the medicinal benefits of salmon are:
- Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids and DHA which are useful for daily nutrition for a person. The Eicosapentaenoic Acid(EPA) is present in salmon which is helpful in decreasing inflammation, lowering blood pressure, improving the function of cells, etc.
- Salmon contains high-quality protein that a body needs.
- It contains various types of vitamin B in it.
- A salmon can give more potassium than a Banana.
- It contains selenium which is important for the body’s diet.
- The presence of astaxanthin appears to lower the risk of heart disease and reduce bad cholesterol in the body. More astaxanthin can help to maintain skin health which makes people younger.
- It helps in reducing the risk of heart disease.
- It increases the metabolic rate in the body and keeps you full. This may help in weight management.
- Based on research, having salmon can increase brain health. The fat in fish can help lower depression, protect the fetal brain, reduce anxiety, and slow age-related memory loss problems.
These are the medicinal benefits of salmon. Adding them in a cobb salad with boiled eggs, avocados, lettuce, and tomato is enriched diet food. The taste of salmon is delicious which gives a less “fishy” taste to it. Including salmon in daily cuisine can improve family health and a tasty food session. So let’s eat healthy food and live a healthy life.