Menthi Majjiga is a flavoured butter milk which is generally a traditional recipe during summer. In this buttermilk methi, seeds, red chillies, etc. are added.
Menthi Majjiga is counted in Telugu cuisine. It is generally found in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka. It is a traditional drink that can also be found in villages.
- Urad dal
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Red chillies
- Curry leaves
- Fenugreek seeds
- Stir the curd and water well so that it turns into buttermilk.
- Then add water and salt into it.
- Heat the oil in a large kadhai type.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal into the kadhai, let them fry for a few minutes.
- Now add cumin seeds, carom seeds and methi. Let them fry for a few minutes.
- Add some red chilli for a good taste and aroma.
- Add butter milk into flavours and mix it very well so that it gives aroma of taste.
- In southern India, this butter milk is added to rice. It tastes very pleasant.
Calories–168, carbohydrates–11g, protein–7g, fat–15g, cholesterol–24mg, sodium–655mg, potassium–324mg, fiber–1g, sugar–1g, vitamin A–598g , vitamin C–45mg, calcium–250g, iron–1mg, etc.
- Fenugreek seeds present in it helps in weight loss, prevents hair loss, it also helps indigestion. It is also good during the menstruation period.
- Urad dal helps to boost blood circulation as it contains a good amount of potassium.
- Mustard seeds are very good for heart health, and also good for skin health.
- Cumin seeds are very good for diabetic patients as it maintains blood sugar level.
- Methi helps to maintain cholesterol and blood pressure which is very good for blood pressure patients.
- Curry leaves are very good for eyesight, it also helps to heal wounds.
- It is considered refreshing during the scorching heat.
- It has different names in different states but the same recipe in all southern states.
- This ingredient is used because it is very often found in the markets.
- This recipe can be published in all books and magazines so that everyone can enjoy it.
- Fenugreek seeds consumed regularly can create low blood sugar levels, it can also cause diarrhoea.
- Urad dal consumed daily can increase uric content in blood and can cause stones in the kidney.
- Consuming mustard seeds can lead to a sore throat which automatically leads to fever. Severe cases can also lead to heart failure.
- Cumin seeds in a large amount can lead to liver damage and can also cause low blood sugar level which is a very dangerous condition for diabetic patients who have low sugar level.
- Consuming methi can lead to extreme cases that is it can lead to asthma problems and wheezing problems.
- Curry leaves can lead to stomach upset, nausea and acidity of the stomach.
Methi Majjiga is the best medicine during the scorching heat of summer. It is generally flavoured milk. The ingredients for buttermilk are curd, water, oil, urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, methi, red chillies, curry leaves, salt, fenugreek seeds. Recipe for buttermilk is very easy and simple that anyone can prepare in seconds. In this blog we have discussed menthi majjiga–introduction, history, ingredients, recipe, nutritional value, benefits, facts and disadvantages. In southern India, it is generally served during the wedding season as it is considered a good vibe. Advantages of menthi majjiga are; helps in weight loss, prevents hair loss, helps in digestion, good for blood circulation, heart health, bone strength, maintains blood sugar level, maintains cholesterol, maintains blood pressure, it is very good for eye sight and finally it heals wounds. Its disadvantages when consumed regularly can lead to low blood sugar level, can increase uric content in the body, stones in the kidney, can lead to liver damage and can also lead to wheezing and asthma problems. Finally we can conclude that menthi majjiga is a very good drink and it should be published in some magazines.