- More than 11,000 candles – one for each Swiss sufferer of the coronavirus pandemic – lit up the December darkness outside the Swiss parliament in Bern on Tuesday.
- “We want to create a space to remember and mourn the victims,” Simon Gehren of the ‘Corona-Mahnwache’ (corona vigil) stated in a statement.
- Around 40 volunteers aided in lighting the candles and arranging them geometrically on the square that is Switzerland’s political centre.
- Switzerland has seen a sharp increase in COVID-19 cases over the past weeks. It tightened measures last week but has been much less strict than neighbouring nations, inclusive of Germany or Austria.
- Swiss health authorities stated on Tuesday that 11,288 people had died with a laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.
Content Writer (Erakina by RTMN)
9/ 12/ 2021